Top of page
Skip to main content
Main content

Staff Relations

College HR takes a broad perspective on Staff/Employee Relations and provides information, advice, and solutions that pertain to building and managing good relationships between supervisors and employees; change management; employee awards and recognition; performance evaluation; as well as on workplace conflict, discipline and misconduct.

The areas we cover include, but are not limited to, employment policies and procedures, employee performance, awards, promotions, grievances, and all other regulatory and disciplinary workplace issues.

College HR recommends that supervisors maintain open and clear communication with their employees and invest in building good working relationships in their departments/ units. In the Employee Relations Resources part of this section, we have provided some strategies to create and maintain a good work environment within the department/unit that you may be able to implement.

Information and advice is available to supervisors throughout the year on how to address employee performance issues or potential misconduct.

Important: Any employee relations issues such as corrective discipline or reorganization or reduction in staff should be discussed with College HR before any action is taken.
  1. Please bring such matters to the attention of College HR by either contacting Joel Tingle via e-mail or at404-727-0630, or Laura Papotto via email or at 404-727-0653. They are available to listen, advise and help develop workable solutions in accordance with university policies and other considerations.
  2. Assistance is also available through the Faculty Staff Assistance Program (FSAP).
  3. You may also discuss any matters that arise with Employee Relations (404-712-8873). View the departmental designations to find your Employee Relations representative.


Information and advice is available to employees on policies and procedures, grievances, harassment, how to improve performance and any other issues.

Often poor or infrequent communication, misunderstanding, and not raising an issue in a timely manner can lead to a negative employee relations issue. You are encouraged to have direct conversations with your supervisor regarding any current or potential problems or questions. If you do not feel comfortable contacting your immediate supervisor, please contact Emory College HR or Emory University Employee Relations (404-712-8873).

College HR conducts Exit Interviews with employees who are separating from the College in order to gain an insight into various aspects of their employment experience at the College.

Through the interviews, College HR aims to explore what works, and what could be improved with regard to the College's basic operations, systems, workload, management, and supervision. The information will be analyzed to identify areas for improvement; to develop ways to increase job satisfaction among existing employees; and to create retention strategies.

Exit Interviews are typically conducted in person. When an in-person interview is not possible, the exiting employee will be provided the opportunity to fill out the Exit Interview Questionnaire in writing and submit it to College HR by emailing your HR Associate.

The documentations process for staff leaves of absence, specifically FMLA and Personal leave, must be initiated in the department by the Academic Department Administrator or Lead Staff.

Any questions concerning the process can be directed to your department's Emory College HR Associate. Find your department’s HR support contact at HR Support Contact List.

Types of Leave

Emory offers employees a variety of types of leaves of absence including:

Reviewing and Approving Leave

Medical Leave and FMLA

Managers and department HR Reps review and approve employee requests for Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or Medical Leave, including Paid Parental Leave online. When an employee submits a request, the manager and HR Rep will immediately receive an email.

Once the leave request has been approved by the department and Human Resources, the employee will then receive an email.

More information about FMLA and this process


Other Leaves of Absence

Employees requesting other types of leave such as personal, educational or military leave should use the: Non Medical Leave Request Form