The Academic Fellows Program provides student mentors to first-year and transfer international students. Academic Fellows work in pairs to provide support to 5-7 mentees. Academic Fellows contact entering international students in late May to answer questions and direct them to academic and other campus resources. After new students arrive on campus, each Academic Fellow pair provides on-going support and information to their mentees throughout the year, especially during strategic times such as before midterms and pre-registration periods. Mentors also help plan monthly events for all mentees throughout the year. Mentors help to connect their mentees to other students as well as to the wide array of resources on campus, while also helping international students understand the culture of Emory College.
Academic Fellow mentor application requirements:
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- One faculty recommendation
- Attendance and participation in an on-campus, two-day formal training on Monday and Tuesday, August 19 and 20 (9 a.m.-8 p.m.).
- Full attendance and participation during International Student Orientation with assigned mentee group on Wednesday, August 21 - Friday, August 23.
- Attend monthly staff meetings during the Fall 2019 and the Spring 2020 semesters.
- 10 hours of mentee group contact throughout the Fall 2019 semester.
- 5 hours of mentee group contact throughout the Spring 2020 semester.
The link to the application and faculty recommendation will be posted by Monday, January 7.
Applications and faculty recommendations are due by Friday, February 1 at 11:59 p.m. You will be notified of your interview day/time by Monday, February 11 and interviews will be held in the afternoon on Thursday, February 14 and Friday, February 15. Decisions will be emailed by Friday, March 1.
Please email the director of the program, Dr. Frank Gaertner, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.