SIRE Graduate Fellows are a vital component to Undergraduate Research Programs. Fellows are selected from diverse graduate programs in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences and work to support undergraduate students in the Research Partners Program and URP summer programs. This fellowship is an excellent opportunity to work with graduate students from other fields in a collegial fashion - much like you might work with faculty colleagues in the future. Also, this is a unique opportunity to mentor undergraduate researchers who are not working directly with you. Fellows provide undergraduate researchers with educational programming, one-on-one mentoring, and workshops.
- Introduce undergraduate students early to the norms and process of research, scholarly inquiry, and creative performance.
- Guide students in identifying faculty mentors to work with as research assistants.
- Provide undergraduates with training in research skills, research ethics, and other training that will enhance the student's scholarship and her/his ability to assist her/his faculty mentors.
- Provide a support system to help students address problems and concerns in their research experience as those problems arise.
The fellowship term is 12 months, running from August 1st to July 31st each year. Special arrangements can be considered for a 10-minth fellowship that ends in May. The fellows work 10-15 hours per week during the academic year with the Research Partners Program and 15-25 hours during the summer in either SRPP or SURE programs.
Humanities and Social Sciences
- Full time student in doctoral program
- Doctoral candidacy by the date of application
- 7th year or earlier of graduate study
- Have not previously held an Emory completion fellowship
- Have support of their dissertation chair
- Submit complete application
- Full time students in the doctoral program
- Doctoral candidacy during the fellowship year
- Have no other employment
- Have support of dissertation chair
- Submit complete application
Humanities and Social Sciences:
- $20,000 stipend for 12-month fellowship
- Up to 3 graduate student fellowships awarded
- $8,000 stipend for 12-month fellowship (on top of the student’s regular stipend)
- Up to 5 graduate student fellowships awarded
How much time should I devote to course prep/weekly work?
- 10-15 hours per week during the academic year
- 15-25 hours per week in the summer
What are weekly graduate fellowship workshops like?
- Fellows develop and plan research skill building workshops for students in the Research Partners Program
- Focus on methods, ethics, and presentation of research in various settings
- Includes professional development and flexibility with curriculum planning
- Gain experience in course development
- Graduate fellows share resources (e.g. syllabi templates)
What do Research Partner workshops look like?
- Work with students in various disciplines
- Research Partners Program supports undergraduate students in research
- Fellows provide educational programming and one-on-one mentoring
How are students matched?
- Students are matched to faculty projects appropriate to their interests
- Graduate fellows guide students in identifying faculty members
How much interactions do graduate fellows have with faculty?
- Fellows will work with students and their faculty mentors to solve problems
- Curriculum Vitae
- Graduate school fellowship cover sheet
- Statement of purpose
- Teaching statement/philosophy
- Statement of work/research skills essay
- Faculty letter of recommendation from dissertation advisor
- Writing sample
- Teaching evaluations
- Dissertation outline or table of contents
Application deadline is February 13, 2017.
To apply, please go to ADMIT.
All nominations and applications, including supporting materials should be uploaded using ADMIT.
- Go to https://www.applyweb.com/emoryfel/index.ftl. and log in using your regular ADMIT net ID and password –or—set up an account with ADMIT first and then log in.
- Select SIRE Graduate Fellowship from the drop down box and follow the upload fields. The application will not let you proceed until you upload all the necessary materials. You will need to upload the nomination or application items as pdf files.