The Academic Fellows Program provides student mentors to first-year and transfer international students. Mentors contact entering international students after their admission to Emory to answer questions and direct them to academic and other campus resources. Each mentoring group meets four or more times per semester, often during strategic times in the semester, such as before midterms and pre-registration periods. The informal nature of the group meetings allows opportunities to make the acquaintance of other students, share experiences, and socialize. Mentors are not advisors, but provide links to the wide array of resources on campus and also help international students understand the culture of Emory College.
Academic Fellow mentor requirements:
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Faculty recommendation
- Attendance and participation in an on-campus, all-day formal training on Tuesday, August 15 (9 a.m.-8 p.m.).
- Full attendance and participation during International Student Orientation with assigned mentee group on Wednesday, August 16 - Friday, August 18.
- Attend at least two training sessions during the Fall 2017 semester and two training sessions during the Spring 2018 semester.
- 10-hours of mentee group contact throughout the Fall 2017 semester.
- 5-hours of mentee group contact throughout the Spring 2018 semester.
You can access the Academic Fellow application form here: https://emoryoue.wufoo.com/forms/zee37eb1ycm93k/
Please send this link to the faculty member who will be completing your recommendation form. This faculty should be a professor whose class you have taken here at Emory. https://emoryoue.wufoo.com/forms/z9dm2c71g4qsp7/
Applications and faculty recommendations are due by Friday, February 24 at 11:59 p.m. You will be notified of your interview day/time by Friday, March 3 and interviews will be held during the week of March 20-24.
Please email the director of the program, Dr. Frank Gaertner, at email@example.com with any questions.