Jane O'Connor, EdD
Director, ESL Program
Office: PAIS 563
- EdD, Learning, Leadership and Organizational Development, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 2018
- MEd, TESOL, College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ
- PGCE , Elementary Education, University of East Anglia, Norwich, England
- RSA Dip, TEFLA, International House, London, England
- BA (Hons), Combined Studies (Sociology and English), Nene College, Northampton, England
Jane O’Connor is Director of the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program for Emory College of Arts and Sciences. As the founding director of the ESL program, Jane oversees all work within the program including the tutoring program and ESL supported classes. She teaches a number of sections of English 101 (Fall, Spring) and American Studies 201 (Summer) with ESL Support for students identified as needing additional support through the Emory English Assessment (EEA). The EEA is taken by all incoming international students during orientation. Jane partners with various offices around campus including the Office of International Student Life on the Conversation Partners Program.
Originally from England, Jane has had a varied career in ESL teaching. She has taught children, teenagers, college students, adults and other teachers in many diverse establishments. She has written curriculum and syllabi for numerous ESL populations. Jane has published three books with a colleague from New Jersey entitled English the American Way, Celebrate the American Way and most recently College the American Way. These are fun ESL guides to American language and culture for adults who speak English as a second language.
Jane is currently writing further ESL books with her partner.