National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship Program
Application Deadline: Late October 2017*
Open to: Seniors and first- and second-year graduate students
Award type: Academic
Area(s) of study: STEM fields, STEM Education, Social Sciences (public health, clinic areas of study, medical and dental programs, and practice-oriented degree programs are not eligible)**
Award criteria: academic achievement; research
Award provides: A three-year annual stipend of $34,000 along with a $12,000 cost of education allowance for tuition and fees (paid to the institution).
Open to international students: No
- By Fall 2018, applicants must be enrolled in an eligible Master’s or PhD program in an NSF-supported field** in the U.S., but have completed no more than twelve months of full-time graduate study (or the equivalent) as of August 1, 2017; students may apply for the NSFGRFP concurrently with graduate school applications
The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported STEM and social science disciplines who are pursuing research-based Master's and doctoral degrees at accredited United States institutions. Proposed research is evaluated on the NSF’s two merit criteria: Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts. Applicants must have an outstanding academic record, significant previous research experience or publications, and coursework and professional experiences that support a clearly delineated research program and career trajectory.
- Application form
- Personal, Relevant Background and Future Goals Statement
- Graduate Research Plan Statement
- 3 Reference Letters
If you are interested in applying, download the application procedures. This award does not require Emory endorsement. For more information and to apply, visit http://www.nsfgrfp.org/
NEW this year: NSF GRFP Application Workshop Series
This year, in partnership with the Emory Writing Center and Undergraduate Research Programs, the National Scholarships & Fellowships Program is excited to pilot a new workshop series to provide support and mentorship to students who are interested in applying to the NSF GRFP. The workshop series consists of two meetings that will take place a week apart.
- The Thursday workshop series will take place on Thursday evenings: October 12 and October 19, from 5:30 to 7:00pm
- The Monday workshop series will take place on Monday evenings: October 16 and October 23, from 6:00 to 7:30pm
- You only need to attend one series—either Monday OR Thursday for two weeks
- Dinner will be included each week for workshop participants
Space is limited! Register by Wednesday, October 11 here: https://emoryoue.wufoo.com/forms/nsf-grfp-workshop-registration/
*Fields have individual deadlines that fall between October 23 and October 27, 2017. To determine the specific deadline for the field to which you are applying, visit http://www.nsfgrfp.org/applicants/important_dates
**For a complete list of NSF-supported fields and disciplines, visit http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16588/nsf16588.htm#appendix